Date:      Tue, 5 Aug 2003 08:32:23 +0000
From:      Philip Reynolds <philip.reynolds@rfc-networks.ie>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: How to apply private patches to port?

Heinrich Rebehn <rebehn@ant.uni-bremen.de> 65 lines of wisdom
included:
> Hi Paul,
>
> In the meantime i found the "Porter's Handbook" and also had a
> look into /usr/ports/Mk/bsd.port.mk, which contains a description
> of all the make targets (fetch, extract, patch ..).  I wish every
> Makefile would have a 'help' target, which woukd list all the
> available targets. But that's only wishful thinking..
>
> As for 'widespread appeal' of my patch: I guess not. It's only a
> private hack for imap-uw, which is very poorly configurable.  At
> first, i installed it directly from source (w/o port). But now i
> wanted to install the package 'imp' from the ports which depends
> on imap-uw and when i issued 'make' for imp, it began to pull in
> imap-uw, because it was not 'installed'(via ports) and threatened
> to overwrite my private imap-uw with an unpatched version.  That's
> why i had the idea of expanding the imap-uw port (and also
> client-2002) with my own patch.

I think FORCE_PKG_REGISTER and NO_DEPENDS can help you here.

The other option is to compile up the uw-imap port (it really
shouldn't take that long to do a basic compilation of a port when
options are being hardcoded) and use the ports system naturally and
keep a local copy of your ports.

--
Philip Reynolds                      | RFC Networks Ltd.
philip.reynolds@rfc-networks.ie      | +353 (0)1 8832063