Date:      Mon, 22 Nov 1999 01:46:13 -0500 (EST)
From:      Kenneth Wayne Culver <culverk@wam.umd.edu>
To:        Harry Woodward-Clarke <Harry.Woodward-Clarke@S1.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: OpenBSD, NetBSD vs FreeBSD ?

> <snip>
> >
> > > with an Alpha port and (I think) a PowerPC port - correct me if I'm
> > > wrong - or see <www.freebsd.org>
> >
> > I'm not sure about the Light part here. FreeBSD is used on the most
> > heavily loaded servers on the internet: cdrom.com, yahoo.com, and
> > hotmail.com. It hasn't been ported to the PowerPC either, It is however
> > (as far as I know) still being ported to Sparc, and it works on x86, and
> > alpha processors.
> >

> Indeed, Kenneth, I meant "light" as in "not heavy on system resources",
> unlike certain other O/S's we shan't mention in this forum ;')

Oops, my bad :-) I thought you meant it the other way.

> Allix, as Kenneth points out, there are many good reasons to choose
> FreeBSD. But as Ryan also mentioned, here is not the place to start a
> flame-war on "myBSD is better than yourBSD" :') You've started well by
> asking questions. Go and check out the web sites of each of the BSDs and
> read for yourself just what is available and what each can do for you.

I'd have to agree with that; truthfully, I'd use whatever BSD suits your
purposes the best.

> Be aware though, that using one of the *BSD O/Ss, you won't have the
> latest and greatest "toys", but you surely will have a heap of fun
> playing with a robust, stable operating system.
>
> |-|

And you can still get most of the latest and greatest goodies to work one
way or another (I just got quake3 for linux to run under emulation...
QUAKE!!!) :-)