Date:      Thu, 07 Sep 2006 18:44:08 +0200
From:      Jona Joachim <jaj13@web.de>
To:        "B. Cook" <bcook@poklib.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: ports/java/jdk15

B. Cook wrote:
> Jona Joachim wrote:
>> B. Cook wrote:
>>> Hello All,
>>>
>>> Trying to build java 1.5.0 and it looks like it's needs linux java
>>> 1.4.2? is this right?
>>>
>>> ===>  linux-sun-jdk-1.4.2.12 You must manually fetch the J2SE SDK
>>> self-extracting file for the Linux platform
>>> (j2sdk-1_4_2_12-linux-i586.bin) from
>>> http://javashoplm.sun.com/ECom/docs/Welcome.jsp?StoreId=22&PartDetailId=j2sdk-1.4.2_12-oth-JPR&SiteId=JSC&TransactionId=noreg,
>>>
>>> place it in /usr/ports/distfiles and then run make again.
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop in /usr/ports/java/linux-sun-jdk14.
>>> *** Error code 1
>>>
>>> Stop in /usr/ports/java/jdk15.
>>
>> Yes, that's right. jdk14 is needed to compile jdk15, welcome to the
>> world of Java ;)
>> Because of license issues you have to fetch the linux jdk14 binary as
>> well as some distfiles required by jdk15 manually as indicated above.
>>
>> However you don't have to build jdk15 as there is an official FreeBSD
>> binary available!
>> See: http://docs.freebsd.org/cgi/mid.cgi?44343C8E.2050707
>>
>> Just install java/diablo-jdk15 and it will install the binary
>>
>> --jona
>
> So if I just wanted a java binary.. I could also just install the
> java/diablo-jre15

That depends on what you need.
The JRE (Java Runtime Environment) comes with the Java Virtual Machine
and standard libraries: everything you need to run Java binaries.
However, if you want to want to compile Java applications from source
you will need the JDK (Java Development Kit) which comes with the JRE +
the javac compiler and everything else you need to create Java bytecode.

--jona