Date:      Mon, 27 Nov 2000 14:52:34 -0800 (PST)
From:      Scott Hazen Mueller <scott@zorch.sf-bay.org>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   atadisk problem?

I've got a new 40GB disk, a Maxtor (yeah, not the best brand...) ST0154000U
Ultra ATA-100 unit.  My m/b is a couple of years old, with an onboard UDMA33
controller.  I've not been using the IDE side of things, preferring to use an
Adaptec 2940 and a 9GB Seagate drive.  I recently added this Maxtor to the
system because of errors on the SCSI drive.  When I first installed on the
system (running an oldish 4.1-STABLE), I had BIOS problems and only saw 33GB
of the disk.  I had swapped drives around so I was running off the Maxtor, and
then went away for the weekend.  Just a few hours after I left, something (!),
I don't know what, went awry and both drives acted like they had eaten their
partition tables - e.g. '?' from the boot loader told me there was no label or
some such.  Anyhow, after considerable thrashing about, I found the partition
tables and labels again (!!) and reverted to operating on the SCSI drive.  In
the interim, I flashed the BIOS with a recommended update from the motherboard
maker and seem to see all 40GB.

That's the background.  Once the BIOS was flashed, I started trying to use the
disk, and kept getting problems like -

Nov 27 14:24:12 zorch /kernel: ad0: HARD WRITE ERROR blk# 29409399ad0: HARD WRITE ERROR blk# 29409399 status=79 error=04
Nov 27 14:24:12 zorch /kernel: ad0: DMA problem fallback to PIO mode
Nov 27 14:24:15 zorch /kernel: ad0: HARD READ ERROR blk# 0 status=79 error=04
Nov 27 14:24:15 zorch /kernel: ad0: reading primary partition table: error reading fsbn 0

after which the disk hangs (the access light stays on until power-down) and is
unusable.  This error occurs during the initial newfs of the drive.  I'm using
Warner Losh's diskprep script to fdisk/disklabel/newfs the drive.

Just before tearing the drive out and trying to take it back (I lost the store
receipt :-( ) I decided to try one more thing, so I took my trusty Win9x boot
floppy, useful for things like flash upgrades, and, using it conjunction with
Maxtor's disk tools re-partitioned and formatted the disk.  From the short
amount of time that took, I suspect it did some sort of quick format, so I
followed that up with a 'format /u c:'.  The latter format processed bits for
about an hour and then completed successfully.  This leads me to suspect there
is not a problem with my on-board controller, BIOS, cabling or drive.  I
realize that DOS/Win9x is comparatively wimpy compared to FreeBSD, but I also
expect that if DOS can read/write the drive for over an hour without reporting
an error, and FreeBSD can't even do that for 10 minutes, something is wrong
with the latter.

I have tried setting hw.atamodes to pio manually before starting the newfs,
with no luck there.  I think I've even got UDMA disabled in the BIOS, for what
that's worth.  In the interval between my first attempts and my last attempt,
I've upgraded from 4.1-STABLE to 4.2-STABLE as of 22 November, since I saw a
fair amount of activity in the ata files in the cvsweb.

Info from dmesg -

Nov 27 13:00:11 zorch /kernel: atapci0: <VIA 82C586 ATA33 controller> port 0xe400-0xe40f at device 7.1 on pci0
Nov 27 13:00:11 zorch /kernel: ata0: at 0x1f0 irq 14 on atapci0
Nov 27 13:00:11 zorch /kernel: ata1: at 0x170 irq 15 on atapci0
Nov 27 13:00:12 zorch /kernel: ad0: 39082MB <Maxtor 54098H8> [79406/16/63] at ata0-master UDMA33

My question to the list is, should I give up and try to return the drive, or
is there a findable/fixable bug here?  I'm willing to try patches or even give
remote (ssh) access to the system to an appropriate developer.

                           \scott