Date:      Thu, 11 Mar 2010 15:54:42 +0900
From:      Rui Paulo <rpaulo@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de>
Cc:        Peter Jeremy <peterjeremy@acm.org>, freebsd-mobile@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: hardlocks in 8-CURRENT

On 9 Mar 2010, at 17:54, Matthias Apitz wrote:

> El d=EDa Tuesday, March 09, 2010 a las 07:16:35PM +1100, Peter Jeremy =20=

> escribi=F3:
>
>> On 2010-Mar-08 15:20:05 +0100, Matthias Apitz <guru@unixarea.de> =20
>> wrote:
>>> from time to time I encounter that the laptop after opening the =20
>>> lid is
>>> just locked, i.e. hardlocked and does not even respond on ping =20
>>> from other
>>> places; I did tests to see when it crashes, i.e. if it is based on =20=

>>> the
>>> movement, of WLAN AP re-connect or whatever; I now always first =20
>>> open it, work a
>>> while across WLAN and then plug-in the power; the lock occurs only =20=

>>> on
>>> the plug-in of the power-supply;
>>>
>>> any idea what to do next for debugging this? thanks
>
> Hello Peter,
>
> Thanks for your reply;
>

>> Firstly, 8-current means you're running a build more than 3 months =20=

>> old.
>
> do be more exactly: it is a 8-CURRENT based on CVS checkout from end =20=

> of
> May 2009;
>
>> Have you considered upgrading?
>
> this is at the moment no option because it is my laptop to do real =20
> work
> all day;

I think that it's not expected for CURRENT to be very stable and it's =20=

more less expected that you are able to follow current because sooner =20=

or later  you'll have problems like the one you have. I suggest you =20
run STABLE.

That aside, hardlocks are hard to debug, specially while on X. My =20
first try would be to remove drivers one by one.

--
Rui Paulo