Date:      Tue, 24 Dec 1996 10:38:16 -0500
From:      "Brian J. McGovern" <mcgovern@spoon.beta.com>
To:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   MFS on a floppy

I've been trying to get a bootable floppy to support MFS for a bit now
(2 days), and its now  time to call in the MFS marines.

I've pretty much followed the handbook example for creating a bootable
floppy. I've also added a handful of useful utilities with the crunchgen
command. However, what I hope to be able to do is be able to compress
a handful of text files (they compress like 90%), and then re-expand them
in to an MFS, where they can be used. All of the systems I've been tinkering
on have at least 16MB of Ram, so that should be sufficient for the kernel,
a shell, and a couple of processes in the background. Anyhow, now heres
what I've trieD:

I created a boot floppy a la handbook, to make sure I could get the disk
to boot, and make sure my crunchgen stuff was working well.

Then I took the fd1440 disktab, and hacked it up. The result was an
entry that looks like:

fd1440bt|3.5in High Density Floppy Boot Disk:\
	:ty=floppy:se#512:nt#2:rm#300:ns#18:nc#80:\
	:pa#2870:oa#0:ba#4096:fa#512:\
	:pb#10:ob#2870:bb#4096:fb#512:
#	:pc#2880:oc#0:bc#4096:fc#512:

My goal being to get a 'b' partition for swaping. I then remade the boot floppy
a-la handbook, only using this disktab, and then deleting the fd0b entry in
the floppies /dev, and replacing it with a similar entry, with the minor number
incremented one higher than 'a'.

I then booted the disk, mounted the 'a' partition fine. Then, I tried to run a
mount_mfs -s 1024000 /dev/fd0b /mnt
to get a MFS mounted on /mnt. I get either a 'device not supported', or
the disk completes the MFS, but starts giving disk write errors in bold
white. It continues until I reboot.

Anyhow, any help on doing this would be greatly appreciated. The man page
info works on my hard disk on, but not on the floppy. Thanks.
	-Brian