Date:      Mon, 14 Sep 1998 05:12:47 +0000 (GMT)
From:      "Jason C. Wells" <jcwells@u.washington.edu>
To:        Ghulum Dastgir <Ghulam_Dastgir@uk.ibm.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: usr logon problems

On Sun, 13 Sep 1998, Ghulum Dastgir wrote:

>hi,
>
>i've added a user to /etc/master.passwd and added a password, but i can't logon
>as this user, it says "/home not found".
>i've confirmed that the second to last field in master.passwd for this user is
>of the form " /home/'username' ".

Two things. Add users with the 'adduser' command and never edit passwd
files with out using 'vipw'.

The passwords in /etc/master.passwd are not clear text but are ciphertext.
Manually adding a password in /etc/master.passwd does you no good. One
should always use 'passwd' to change a users password after the user is
already created.

Of course, you don't _really_ need to take my advice if you know all of
the little ins and outs of adding a user and changind passwords. There are
harder ways to do these things. :)

Catchya Later,		|	UW Mechanical Engineering
Jason Wells		|	http://weber.u.washington.edu/~jcwells/