Date:      Mon, 24 Apr 2000 22:14:26 -0700
From:      Brooks Davis <brooks@one-eyed-alien.net>
To:        Ryan Davis <ryand@zenspider.com>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-stable@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: 3.4S -> 4.0S botched, can't build anything now

On Mon, Apr 24, 2000 at 09:53:46PM -0700, Ryan Davis wrote:
> I followed the instructions in /usr/src/UPDATING as best I could, but
> I still think it is conflicting on whether to build the kernel first
> or not. Doesn't matter, trying to build the kernel first failed,
> presumably because config has changed.

You must build a kernel first.  The instructions are pretty clear.  I
supposed it could be changed to "YOU MUST INSTALL A NEW KERNEL BEFORE
RUNNING `INSTALLWORLD' OR YOU WILL HOSE YOUR SYSTEM!!!", but that seems
like overkill.  Generally it's assumed that instructions listed in
order should be executed that way unless someone says otherwise.

> I am stuck. The only thing I've found that is relevant to #3 is to cd
> to yacc's directory and make install, but I'm apparently not far
> enough in the general build anymore for that to work. The wierd thing
> is, unlike #2 where any use of /bin/sh would core, yacc works fine on
> the commandline.

You probably have a libc installed that won't work with your kernel.

> I am trying to restore from tape now to see if I can roll out the
> partial install until I get this under control. I am really
> disappointed in how bad this transition has been. I usually brag to
> linux bigots about how painless keeping up to date BSD is w/ cvsup
> and /usr/src.

That's the easiest answer.  It's definatly recommended that you read the
lists extensivly before making a major version jump.  Doubly so when
doing it via sources.  Extensive examples of people shooting their foot
in exactly the same way you did are available in both the -stable and
-current archives. :-)

-- Brooks