Date:      Mon, 29 Apr 2019 10:50:51 -0400
From:      <kris@ixsystems.com>
To:        "'Rodney W. Grimes'" <freebsd-rwg@gndrsh.dnsmgr.net>
Cc:        =?iso-8859-2?Q?'Goran_Meki=E6'?= <meka@tilda.center>, "'Emmanuel Vadot'" <manu@bidouilliste.com>, "'FreeBSD Stable'" <freebsd-stable@freebsd.org>, "'FreeBSD Current'" <freebsd-current@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-pkgbase@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-pkg@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>, <freebsd-ports@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: CFT: FreeBSD Package Base

freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
> Subject: Re: CFT: FreeBSD Package Base
>=20

> > > FreeNAS / TrueOS, which is why I didn't originally mention it as
> > > apart of our CFT.
> > >
> > > Then please it is "CFT: FreeNAS/TrueOS pkg base, ZFS only", =
calling
> > > this FreeBSD pkg base when it is not was wrong, and miss leading.
> > >

> > Sorry, I disagree.
> Which is fine.
>=20
> > This pkg base is independent of the ZFS tool we're using
> > to wrangle boot-environments. Hence why it wasn't mentioned in the =
CFT.
> > These base packages work the same as existing in-tree pkg base on =
UFS,
no
> > difference. If anything are probably safer due to being able to =
update
all
> > of userland in single extract operation, so you don't have out of =
order
> > extraction of libc or some such.
>=20
> You missed the major string change and focused on the edge,
> No comment on calling iXsystems :stuff: FreeBSD instead of
> FreeNAS/TrueOS?
>=20
> That was the major point of my statement, your miss leading the user
> community, you yourself said this would never be imported into FreeBSD
> base, so I see no reason that it should be called "FreeBSD package =
Base",
> as it is not, that is a different project.
>=20
> --
> Rod Grimes
rgrimes@freebsd.org

I think somehow you've missed the entire point here. This is being =
brought
forth as a FreeBSD CFT in the hopes of upstream adoption. No misleading =
here
whatsoever. The only thing that I wouldn't expect to be imported into =
base
was this external tool we use on FreeNAS/TrueOS to handle our specific
use-case of ZFS only. Total strawman here.

Seriously, suggest you bother looking at it and reading further to get =
the
full context. If anything this is far less invasive since it doesn't =
require
lots of hacking on base, and can even be used to package old versions of
FreeBSD if desired. The only thing I changed to make these images was a
patch to bsdinstall to replace dist-file extraction with 'pkg install
userland kernel pkg ...'.