Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 1995 16:00:28 +0100 (MET)
From:      grog@lemis.de (Greg Lehey)
To:        jkh@time.cdrom.com (Jordan K. Hubbard)
Cc:        hackers@freebsd.org (FreeBSD Hackers)
Subject:   Re: ideas from netbsd

Jordan K. Hubbard writes:

> > * another thing is the COMPAT_FREEBSD option (... and code) - i think
> > it would be a good idea to have something similar for NetBSD
> > (COMPAT_NETBSD) in FreeBSD - i think it should be relatively easy to
>
> Uh.  Why? :-)
>
> I believe the big reason for them having COMPAT_FREEBSD to run our
> packages, which is a perfectly reasonable thing.  From the opposite
> point of view, I can't think of *any* applications (save AFS, which
> isn't even an app) that run only on NetBSD and aren't available in
> FreeBSD versions.

That may be true most of the time, but consider my situation.  I have
machines running both BSD/386 and FreeBSD, and the software is
compatible enough that I normally don't need two copies of everything.
It would be nice to retain the compatibility, and it shouldn't be too
hard.  That doesn't mean I want a COMPAT_NETBSD and a
COMPAT_BSDOS--just that somehow people should arrange to stay as
compatible as possible.

Greg