Date:      Fri, 30 Mar 2007 21:55:33 -0800
From:      Garrett Cooper <youshi10@u.washington.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Ports maintainer or adopting a port

Kimi Ostro wrote:
> Hello list
>
> Not sure if this is appropriate for this list, basically I am looking
> to hear from past, current and future ports maintainers:
>
> is it fun? what are the requirements? (besides time) what does it mean
> to you? do you recommend it? best way to get started? what do I need
> to know about FreeBSD & Ports?
>
> I am looking at adopting a port or two and looking to gain more
> insight, maybe someone that can do projects page for ports? which
> holds a list of unmaintained ports??
Kimi,
    <2 cents>Like many things it's fulfilling to look at a hard day's
(or a few minutes, hours, etc, the lesser of the bunch) and be satisfied
at what you've accomplished, for this is a community effort and not a
one-way street. (not meaning to sound hippy~ish, but..) Ideally everyone
should help one another out and benefit the entire community as a whole.
That's what this is designed for. </2 cents>
    You should subscribe to the ports@ list though. There's periodically
a list of broken ports sent out, and inquiries about port maintainers,
etc. Very similar to what you're looking into I believe.
Cheers,
-Garrett