Date:      Thu, 20 Mar 2014 10:42:32 -0700
From:      Sean Bruno <sbruno@ignoranthack.me>
To:        "freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org" <freebsd-hackers@freebsd.org>
Subject:   readelf: Error: /usr/lib/libc.a: failed to skip archive symbol table

--=-hjv9M9NdLzp/QIIF4GzY

I've built a 32bit mips world/chroot.  If I use sson's qemu tree and his
kmod/binmissctl, I can enter the environment. =20

Right now, I'm investigating why static compilation fails inside the
environment, which probably means I'm the first person to *ever* use the
tool chain natively on mips32.

Dynamic linking works just fine, but if I attempt to link -static, I get
a failure.  readelf and other tools seem to be unable to parse the .a
files, but .so files are just fine.

This is all inside the qemu-mips environment, if I examine the files on
my amd64 machine, I never see these errors.  I suspect some kind of
arch/endian issue, but it eludes me at the moment.  Ideas?

# uname -a
FreeBSD powernoodle.corp.yahoo.com 11.0-CURRENT FreeBSD 11.0-CURRENT #11
r263173: Sat Mar 15 13:31:08 JST 2014
sbruno@powernoodle:/usr/obj/usr/src/sys/POWERNOODLE  mips

# readelf -a /usr/lib/libz.a
readelf: Error: /usr/lib/libz.a: failed to skip archive symbol table

# readelf -a /usr/lib/libz.so
ELF Header:
  Magic:   7f 45 4c 46 01 02 01 09 00 00 00 00 00 00 00 00=20
  Class:                             ELF32