Date:      Fri, 10 Feb 2006 12:52:41 -0500
From:      Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com>
To:        Peter <petermatulis@yahoo.ca>
Cc:        Giorgos Keramidas <keramida@ceid.upatras.gr>, freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Using dd to Make a Clone of a Drive

On Feb 10, 2006, at 11:11 AM, Peter wrote:

> --- Bart Silverstrim <bsilver@chrononomicon.com> wrote:

>>> Not really.  I'm far from being a Windows expert though, so YMMV.
>>
>> As an image?  Look up partimage and partimaged.  We've had some luck
>> restoring from both a Linux system running the Partimaged daemon and
>> booting from a Linux disk and restoring images off a samba/Windows
>> share using partimage.
>
> I intend to use g4u.  I have done some preliminary testing and I am
> quite
> confident that I can upload and download an image.  I am now wondering
> about the situation where I need to recreate the partition that is to
> contain the image.  It needs to be exactly the same size (sectors) as
> the
> image.  That's what I'm worried about.  Any suggestions?

Never used g4u...I know that with partimage, if I imaged, say, a 4 gig
drive, then pulled it down to a 6 gig drive and booted Windows, Windows
(2000) would see 4 gig.  I had to use a partition editor (there was a
graphical one on one of the Linux rescue CDs) that I used to enlarge
the partition, and Win2k didn't seem to care at all.  Qtparted, maybe?