Date:      Fri, 17 May 2002 20:40:47 -0400
From:      "Chad Leigh -- Shire.Net LLC" <chad@shire.net>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Cc:        chad@shire.net
Subject:   serial port logins and console problems

Hi

I have two FreeBSD systems.  Each has their COM1 and COM2 ports on.
Each has its sio1/COM2/cuaa1 port connected to the others
sio0/COM1/cuaa0 port with a null modem cable.  The goal is to be able to
use minicom or kermit on cuaa1 to connect to the other machine machine's
sio0 port.  In addition, I want the serial console port to be on for
each machine so I can monitor the /dec/cuaa1 port on each machine for
the console messages from the other.

-- Both machines have the serial console flags and boot.config set as
per the handbook and both, when booting, said that they were going to a
serial console.

-- Both machines have the following in their /etc/ttys

ttyd0   "/usr/libexec/getty std.9600"   cons25  on  secure
and a ps command does show the getty running for that port on both
machines.

I've looked on Google about serial port and console etc.  Nothing
interesting found.

This is what is working and what is not:

On machine A

I get no console messages from B.
I can use kermit or minicom to connect to B.  I get NO feedback, no
login prompt, or anything.  However, I can log in, typing carefully.  I
can prove I login by doing things like "# touch afile" and then go find
that file is indeed created.  So, even though I get no feedback, no
login prompt, nothing back, I do log in to B through the serial port.

On machine B

I do get the console messages from A.  I can connect to /dev/cuaa1 using
kermit or minicom and the messages do show up.  In addition, a "% cat
/dev/cuaa1 > logfile" does create the appropriate logfile full of
messages.

I cannot log into A.  I usually do not get any login prompt or anything.
Sometimes however, I do get it.  I think it has to do with the fact that
the login prompt is already given when I connect and since the keyboard
input is not going into the terminal I do not get any more login
feedback.  So I think that the terminal login banner and prompt is
showing up.  I cannot log in to A, even blindly, as I do from A into B.

It appears that the serial ports are working and set correctly since
each way , part of it works.

Any hints or clues or ideas on what might be happening and how to fix it?

Thanks
Chad