Date:      Thu, 4 Oct 2001 15:43:56 +0200
From:      "Patrick O'Reilly" <patrick@mip.co.za>
To:        "Daniel Fairs" <daniel.fairs@spiderplant.net>, "FreeBSD Question List" <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   RE: Firewalling again

Daniel,

> It transpires that we in fact have allocated to us the 8 IPs
> 213.2.28.70 inclusive - on one subnet. So that's expressed as
> 213.2.28.63/29, yes? (This whole thing is not helped by the fact that I'm
> only just getting to grips with CIDR notation ;). That gives
> 213.2.28.63 as
> the subnet IP and 213.2.28.70 as the net broadcast address. (Guess I'd
> better move the firewall off of .70 then.)

No, something is amiss.  A /29 subnet has 8 addresses, and these must begin
on a multiple of 8 (like 56 or 64).  A range from .63 to .70 does not make
sense!  You should have .56 thru .63, or .64 thru .71.

> I guess, then, that I need to talk to my ISP about splitting the /29 into
> two /30s? Then I'd have:
> .63 - subnet 1 IP
> .64 - Firewall external IP
> .65 - DSL Router IP
> .66 - subnet 1 broadcast
>
> .67 - subnet 2 IP
> .68 - Mailserver IP
> .69 - unused
> .70 - subnet 2 broadcast
>
> Does that make sense? Or am I getting the wrong end of the stick?
>
> Something I find a little concerning in my predecessor's docs is that our
> ISP seems to have taken one of our IPs (currently .64) for 'internal use'.
> Is this normal? Or do they just have a weird system?

Yes, you can split a /29 to two /30s, see below.
I'm thinking, reading between all these lines, that what you actually have
is .64 thru .71, which could then be arranged as follows:

subnet A: 213.2.28.64/30
  .64 (reserved - 'cos its the subnet address)
  .65 (the DSL router device - also your f/w's default gateway)
  .66 (the ip you should have on the xl2 interface of the f/w)
  .67 (reserved - broadcast)

subnet B: 213.2.28.68/30
  .68 (subnet address)
  .69 (the f/w xl1 interface, also your mx's default router)
  .70 (the mail server's ip)
  .71 (reserved - broadcast)

Unfortunately, this leaves you with no spare IPs.

If you are certain that .63 is yours, then you want to verify what the
subnet is, probably 213.2.28.60/30.  But, this would render .63 unusable
anyway as it is the broadcast address !?!

I think you need to get hold of someone at your ISP who has more than a
handful of grey cells to rub together (that can be difficult - trust me! :),
and verify what exactly is allocated to you.

> T very much IA!
> Cheers,
> Dan

Pleasure to help - I'm usually the one doing the asking :)

Patrick.