Date:      Mon, 02 Mar 1998 10:06:47 +0200
From:      Nadav Eiron <nadav@barcode.co.il>
To:        "Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor]" <sperber@informatik.uni-tuebingen.de>
Cc:        questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Getting STABLE via ftp doesn't work

Michael Sperber [Mr. Preprocessor] wrote:

> The Handbook describes that ftp.freebsd.org sends out compressed tar
> files of directory trees.  This doesn't work.  How *do* I get
> a STABLE source tree?  (I can't use CVSup for reasons described in
> a bug report I just filed.)

True. This feature was disabled because it taxed the machine too
heavily. I think you have the following options (didn't use them all
myself, so YMMV):
1. Get src.tar (it tars even though it does not compress).
2. Find a mirror that does compression.
3. Get the src distribution from releng22.freebsd.org. This machine
builds a -stable snapshot daily, so you'll be at most a single day
behind.

> --
> Cheers =8-} Mike
> Friede, Völkerverständigung und überhaupt blabla

Hope this helps,

Nadav