Date:      Wed, 17 Jun 1998 09:04:27 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Viren R. Shah" <viren@rstcorp.com>
To:        me@FreeBSD.ORG
Cc:        multimedia@FreeBSD.ORG, ports@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: XEmacs and sound?

[cc:'ed to ports, in the hope that someone there knows about this]

 ME> In lists.freebsd.multimedia you write:
 >> I'm having problems getting XEmacs to use the sound card on FreeBSD.

 ME> [...]

 >> I can play audio CDs thru the sound card. However XEmacs wil not play
 >> any sounds. It emits an error message of:
 >> audio: SNDCTL_DSP_SETFMT, Undefined error: 0
 ME> Hmm, do you hear anything if you do something like
 ME> 	cat /usr/local/share/sounds/train.au >/dev/audio

Yes, the sound plays perfectly when I do that. I also tried to play it
in XEmacs by using M-x play-sound-file, and that failed with the same
error msg (shown above).

 ME> on my xemacs-20.4. I've compiled it from source tho instead of
 ME> using the package. You could try that as well.

I wonder if it a matter of some default used in the package?

 >> This the the XEmacs package for 2.2.6. And the sounds that it is
 >> trying to play are .au files from the distribution. I'm not sure
 >> whether it is trying to use the /dev/speaker device, or any of the
 >> others.

 ME> Michael

Thanks
Viren
--
Viren R. Shah, viren @ rstcorp . com, http://www.rstcorp.com/~vshah/
If you understand what you're doing, you are not learning anything