Date:      11 Jul 2003 00:11:03 +0000
From:      Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
To:        Rus Foster <rghf@fsck.me.uk>
Cc:        Free BSD Questions list <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Mounting a Samab share at boot time

I believe that the method mentioned here is the appropriate way.

#!/bin/sh
#
# $Id: smbfs.sh.sample,v 1.3 2001/01/13 04:50:36 bp Exp $
#
# Location: /usr/local/etc/rc.d/smbfs.sh
#
# Simple script to mount smbfs file systems at startup.
# It assumes that all mount points described in fstab file and password
# entries listed in /root/.nsmbrc file. See mount_smbfs(8) for details.
#

mount="/sbin/mount -o -N"
umount=/sbin/umount
HOME=/root; export HOME
vols=`awk -- '/^\/.*[[:space:]]+smbfs[[:space:]]+/ { print $2 }'
/etc/fstab`

case "$1" in
start)
        echo -n "smbfs: "
        for vol in ${vols}; do
                $mount $vol
                echo -n "$vol "
        done
        ;;
stop)
        echo -n "unmounting smbfs mount points: "
        for vol in ${vols}; do
                $umount $vol
                echo -n "$vol "
        done
        ;;
*)
        echo "Usage: `basename $0` {start|stop}" >&2
        exit 64
esac

echo "Done"

It seems to me that the reason for this is that the ufs kernel
'knowledge' allows the fstab mounts for the ufs slices to progress but
perhaps the smbfs module is not yet loaded, so the smb mounts go
pearshaped in auto mode.

--
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer

This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.