Date:      Fri, 9 Jun 2000 18:33:49 -0400
From:      David Heinrich <dh003i@mail.rochester.edu>
To:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Soon to be xBSD user

Hello, I'm David Heinrich, a soon-to-be *nix user(I plan on getting BSD,
Linux, maybe with a dual boot with BeOS when I upgrade to a 1000Mhz).  I
have been very interested in your  FreeBSD BSD since I read about it on
bsd.org.  I am e-mailing you because I have a few questions, which I think
you may be able to help me with.  My priorities for my OS are:  (1)
speed/customizability/power  (2)  stability  and  (3)  security.  Clearly,
FreeBSD seems to fit well into all of these categories.  What I'm
interested in is how it stacks up against other OS', such as Slackware,
Stampede, Debian, Suse; as well as how it compares to a non-related OS,
BeOS.  Mainly, I'm interested in how it compares to those Distro's/OSes in
terms of firstly speed, and secondly customizability and power.

Also, do you have any benchmarks that compare FreeBSD to:

        1.  xBSD
        2.  Stampede
        3.  Debian
        4.  BeOS
	5.  Slackware
	6.  Suse

Sincerely,
	David Heinrich

**note:  I know that Slack, Debian, Suse, etc, are not 'Operating Systems'
but distributions, but simply called them that for simplicity