Date:      Wed, 23 Feb 2005 23:05:24 -0800
From:      "Ted Mittelstaedt" <tedm@toybox.placo.com>
To:        "Gerry Freymann" <lists@interpool.ca>, <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   RE: Lexmark X1100 printer

Wrong thing to do.  HP is well supported under open source
operating systems, Lexmark isn't.

http://www.linuxprinting.org/show_printer.cgi?recnum=Lexmark-1100

> So I'm wondering if going with CUPS would be easier? or at
> least something
> else to dig into. I've spent about 3 hours fiddling with the
> current setup
> to no avail.

Also note that the lm1100 isn't the 1185.  The model numbers on these
things are pretty meaningless - the entire printing command set of the
1185 could be completely different from the 1100.

> Any Suggestions? links?

Let me put it this way.  It sounds like your not that experienced with
the ugliness of installing an unsupported printer under FreeBSD.  I
guarentee
that you will be happier if you stay that way.

Return the printer to the store and buy one that is well supported.
By purchasing the Lexmark you are effectively rewarding companies that
don't lift a finger to help us, and punishing companies that are bending
over backwards to help the Open Source community.

If you had got the printer from a dumpster, or free from someone, I
would be more inclined to spend time answering your question.  But the
fact that you actually went out and paid money for it - that is
different.
If you want to support FreeBSD, reward vendors who support it with your
business, not vendors who ignore it.

Ted