Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2013 10:34:22 -0700
From:      Craig Rodrigues <rodrigc@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org>
Cc:        "freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org" <freebsd-virtualization@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Problems with missing ttyv devices in BHyve?

On Thu, Oct 3, 2013 at 10:38 PM, Peter Grehan <grehan@freebsd.org> wrote:

>  (2)  Is it possible to connect to the console of the BHyve VM via
>> /dev/ttyu2
>>        or some other mechanism?  I would like to be able to connect to
>> the BHyve VM
>>        and use something like Expect or py-expect to execute console
>> commands in the VM,
>>        for automated testing.
>>

>  Not currently - the only options you have are to run bhyve under expect,
> or set up a network port and log in and run expect on commands.
>
>  I have what I think is a plan to fix this: maybe for 10.1.

OK.  Once FreeNAS is fully set up, networking via the tap device works
great,
and I have been able to access the web GUI and ssh into FreeNAS inside
BHyve with no problems.

However, what I am trying to test is the early stage bootup of our
installation CD,
before FreeNAS is installed on the disk.  When our CD boots up, it presents
a text-based dialog menu where the user can select certain items and choose
which
disk to install on.  If I could access the console in BHyve at this point
via expect
to drive the install menu, that would be very useful.

--
Craig