Date:      Fri, 4 Oct 2002 16:46:12 -0300 (ART)
From:      Fernando Gleiser <fgleiser@cactus.fi.uba.ar>
To:        greg <slay@slough-feg.com>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Dummynet & ports

On Fri, 4 Oct 2002, greg wrote:

> So if i did something like use wu-ftpd and use the "passive ports"
> directive in
> /etc/ftpaccess then i would be able to control the passive ports used
> and then pipe them with dummynet?

Yes. And no :). By doing that you can limit the bandwidth used by people
who access *your* ftp, but you can't control which ephemeral port will
bew chosen by a *remote* ftpd (ie, ftp.freebsd.org) because that is
daemon/OS dependant.

The best solution I've found is to install a dedicated proxy server for
FTP/HTTP and then limit the traffic for that proxy server. But you need
an extra machine for that.

			Fer