Date:      22 Oct 2000 21:22:55 -0500
From:      Don Croyle <croyle@gelemna.org>
To:        Paulo Ricardo Trainini <trainini@fortnet.com.br>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Sender domain must exist

Paulo Ricardo Trainini <trainini@fortnet.com.br> writes:

> I have installed the freebsd 4.1 to connect the intranetwork with the
> internet. Your conections with internet is dial-up with static ip. Wh=
en I
> try send the email from server (mail command) all rigth. But when I t=
ry
> send the email from computer in intranet (ip invalid) the sendmail re=
turn
> the message:
>=20
> tom sendmail[601]: JAA00601: ruleset=3Dcheck_mail, arg1=3D<f
> ortnet@192.168.1.1>, relay=3D[192.168.1.2], reject=3D501
> <fortnet@192.168.1.1>... Se
> nder domain must exist
>=20
> .. and don=B4t send the message
>=20
> I searche in handbook that is necessary configure sendmail.cw and
> sendmail.mc to solve this problem, but don=B4t work enven so.
>=20
> snemdail.cw:
> domain.com
>=20
> sendmail.mc:
> MASQUERADE_AS(`domain.com')
> FEATURE(`masquerade_envelope')
>=20
> it=B4s rigth?
>=20
> thank you for your help

That's right as far as it goes, but the machine that's trying to send
the mail is probably announcing itself as the unregistered
host.domain.com.  Add something like

     define(`confDOMAIN_NAME', `domain.com')dnl

to sendmail.mc and it should work better.
--=20
I've always wanted to be a dilettante, but I've never quite been ready
to make the commitment.