Date:      Fri, 16 Jun 2000 14:40:22 -0700
From:      Frankie Li <notme@lvdi.net>
To:        Gabriel Ambuehl <gabriel_ambuehl-fbquestions@buz.ch>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: How can I have pw to either generate random passwords or let me  define them through CLI?

I have found a way (although I'm not sure if this is the best and
most secured way) to have the password supplied from command line.
(and even from a text file, but I don't think that's too secured
though)
Although the man page states that a file descriptor is needed, all
I did was just open an empty file, and use it as a file descriptor.
However, I am not sure if there is any side effect.

here's an example

touch tempfile

(the following should be one line, but it couldn't
fit within 70 characters.)

echo password | pw useradd someuser -d /usr/home/cs1p1/someuser
-e 6/30/2000 -m -g cs1p1 -h tempfile

password contains your password, possibly from command line
or from a file read by a shell script, and someuser is the username.
cs1p1 is just a group that I use for school.

-h seems to allow me to use an empty file as a file descriptor, and
afterward, nothing is written in it.  Well, it works ;)

I believe -w random will generate a random password, but it prints
passwords out in stdout, and I have no experience with it.

I hope this helps.

Frankie