Date:      Thu, 12 Oct 2000 12:02:10 -0400
From:      "Francisco Reyes" <fran@reyes.somos.net>
To:        "Matt Dillon" <dillon@earth.backplane.com>, "Poul-Henning Kamp" <phk@critter.freebsd.dk>
Cc:        "arch@FreeBSD.ORG" <arch@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Jeroen Ruigrok van der Werven" <jruigrok@via-net-works.nl>, "Kris Kennaway" <kris@citusc.usc.edu>, "Robert Watson" <rwatson@FreeBSD.ORG>, "Terry Lambert" <tlambert@primenet.com>, "Warner Losh" <imp@village.org>
Subject:   Re: cvs commit: src/etc inetd.conf

On Tue, 10 Oct 2000 09:20:50 -0700 (PDT), Matt Dillon wrote:

>None of the arguments Jordan or Poul
>are making make any sense to me.  What they are saying to me is basically
>that they aren't willing to require that joe sysop be bothered with
>lifting just his little finger to configure a FreeBSD box.
>-Matt

That is one way to look at it, although not a very effective
one.
You are basically making assumptions about the level of
competency of FreeBSD users.
I think at best the intallation program should warn about having
everything off or giving an option.

You are also ignoring organizations which would be installing
things behind a firewall and that may not gotten up to the
automation level that you have achieved. For them all internal
boxes don't need as much security, yet they would to come up
with a custom install like you have.

Furthermore, you are also ignoring the transition period between
when a company has so few FreeBSD machines that they just
install them all from scratch and the point where they have so
many that they need to automate. Somewhere along those two
extremes there needs to be some relief for the admins. Your
suggestion basically is ignore those who don't have a clue. This
is elitist and unproductive.

francisco
Moderator of the Corporate BSD list
http://www.egroups.com/group/BSD_Corporate