Date:      Fri, 12 May 2000 08:42:12 -0500
From:      "Harold Pulcher - Killer Computing" <pulcher@killercomputing.com>
To:        "Bart Lateur" <bart.lateur@skynet.be>, <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: PostgreSQL boot question

> After that, postgreSQL refused to run because the socket
> (/tmp/s.postgres.5432 or some name like that) was "in use". I had to
> delete the file and reboot to make it work. I could get rid of the file
> without problem by simply rm-ing it.

You really didn't need to reboot.  After you rm'ed the file, just run the
startup script pgsql.sh.  It will fire right up.

> This doesn't look right: it's too much manual work.
>
> Does this mean I'll have to do that every time my server crashes? Can't
> the file automatically be deleted at startup, before the postgreSQL
> demon starts up?

It is a little risky, but I just modified the above script to check for the
existence of the file and rm the thing if it exists.  Since the script is
really only intended to be executed at boot time, and you need to have
rootly type privs to remove the file, I don't see it as that big of a deal.
Especially, when you catch the "crashitus" that sometimes goes around.

Harold