Date:      Sat, 8 Aug 1998 00:04:36 -0700 (PDT)
From:      Keith Woodworth <kwoody@citytel.net>
To:        Jonathan Fosburgh <jef53313@Bayou.UH.EDU>
Cc:        freebsd-questions <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Telnet

On Fri, 7 Aug 1998, Jonathan Fosburgh wrote:

> On Sat, 8 Aug 1998, Greg Lehey wrote:

> > > I know this is not -questions,
> >
> > You could have fooled me.
> >
> > > but I though that 'screen' just added multiple (virtual) consoles
> > > under a single connection, e.g. while using a shell-account.
> >
> > Correct.

> > > Using X or not should not make a difference at all, IMHO !
> >
> > Agreed.  But there's something here which appears to make a
> > difference.  We'll have to wait for a reply before finding out.
> >
> > > *All* internet-related services (inetd...) are started at boot-time and
> > > are available then.
> >
> > These are the servers.  We're talking about the telnet client here,
> > which will run even if all the local servers (telnetd or inetd) are
> > down.

> Is your command prompt using the cons25 terminal? I seem to recall linux
> not knowing this type and rejecting connections. Your xterm will use,
> well, xterm, and screen is probly a vt100 or later.

As I didnt know what the heck to edit out of this post I left it all in
for my reply. sorry but it was all to convoluted to not include.

At any rate, Ive got RH 4.2 box that I put together to see what all the
fuss was over linux a few weeks back and while it accepts telnet
connections properly from my freebsd machines it only seems to balk when
I log out and says con25 unknown terminal type.

I wont bother changing anything as the linux box is stuck in a dark
corner of my basement and I rarely ever go to it as its pretty much a
single purpose machine to run rc5 from d.net. Easier to telnet when I
need to work on it. :)

Keith