Date:      Mon, 21 Aug 2017 22:44:15 +0000
From:      "Thomas Mueller" <mueller6724@bellsouth.net>
To:        freebsd-ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Synth and circular dependencies

from RW rwmaillists at googlemail.com
Mon Aug 21 15:28:49 UTC 2017:

> On Mon, 21 Aug 2017 13:19:24 +0000
> Thomas Mueller wrote:

> > But on this computer, no such system crashes, but I ran into circular
> > dependencies

> Try removing any port options that aren't absolutely essential.

> > It seems the ports go overboard with an awful lot of dependencies, of
> > which not all install with the main port.  So I expect some of these
> > dependencies might be false dependencies.

> They are probably just build dependencies.

It is still disappointing to find devel/git or sysutils/coreutils were not installed.

Email from FreeBSD lists is slow coming to my inbox, so I am respoonding from the web interface to the emailing lists, and on the other computer, now running NetBSD.

I ran "make show-depends" on NetBSD with pkgsrc, dependencies are generally far less/fewer than on FreeBSD with ports.

But FreeBSD ports seems to go overboard now with dependencies, creating circular dependencies along the way.

I rebooted to an older FreeBSD installation (current/11 amd64 from January 2016, no longer supported).

I went to /usr/ports/textproc/xmlto , ran "make all-depends-list", and one line that showed up was
/usr/ports/textproc/xmlto

depends on itself.

Otherwise, on newer system, I see circular dependencies running "make all-depends-list", finding textproc/xmlto depended on graphics/gd and vice versa.

It didn't seem broken back in January 2016, and I still use it for Seamonkey 2.39 and other things.

Tom