Date:      Fri, 25 Aug 2000 09:15:14 -0700
From:      "Nathaniel G H" <bsd_appliance@bemail.org>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: DHCP "refresh" question

>> That is quite obvious, and very simple... but it requires human
>> intervention.  I was trying to find out if there is a way to do
>> this automatically.  It needs to happen when the DHCP address is
>> no longer valid, but the lease time has not expired.
>
> How is a daemon able to determine that the address is no longer
> valid?

I am well aware that the daemon would not be able to determine
that.  My idea was to have some part of the system that CAN
determine it run a shell script that would cause dhclient to
renew its lease.

After all, the system displays something like "no route to host"
and "last message repeated XXX times" a bunch of times when this
happens.  If it can log the message on the screen, can't it cause
a shell script to run after it occurs X number of times

Thanks to everybody who responded to my questions.
-Nathaniel G H