Date:      Sat, 3 Sep 2005 09:04:50 -0400
From:      "Anthony M. Agelastos" <iqgrande@gmail.com>
To:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   portsdb question

Hello all,

Is it normal for portsdb -uU to require 2 hours to complete (Pentium
III // 450 MHz // FreeBSD 5.4-STABLE from 07/27 and KERNEL = GENERIC
with very, very slight modifications primarily for architecture and
Mplayer)? I found out about this because many have recommended using
portversion because of its speed over pkg_version, however when I
sync my Ports tree, pkg_version will report to me updated information
whereas portversion will not, and the only way I have found to have
it report updated information is to run portsdb -uU (the big U is
what takes forever and is the crucial one of those flags), which
takes two hours and, consequently, kills the overall speed claim
mentioned above. Considering what I can build (from source) or
scientifically compute in two hours, I think my machine is doing
something it shouldn't be. Does anyone have any ideas?

I should note here that I did Google this, check the FAQ, and check
the documentation. I have been known to accidentally miss items in
these areas, so if I did, I do apologize.