Date:      Wed, 09 Jan 2002 21:00:47 -0800
From:      abe olson <abeolson23@attbi.com>
Cc:        ratolandia@netvision.com.br, "FreeBSD Questions @ FreeBSD.org" <questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: Video card

as far as I know, nvidia cards only support 3d acceleration in windows
and linux.  There are no *bsd drivers.  Ati's cards are supported for 3d
acceleration in X through DRI while nvidia cards use a proprietary
driver.  If you want 3d acceleration in X in freebsd you probably want a
radeon card (radeon 8500 not supported yet.).  If you want 3d in linux
then nvidia or ati are both good choices.

Subjectively, I never had much luck getting dri to work with a voodoo5
card.  The nvidia drivers are pretty simple to install and performace is
   as good as in windows.

All are pretty much good choices in windows cause the manufatcurers
actually write drivers ;-)

Abe