Date:      Mon, 6 Nov 2000 16:33:38 +0100
From:      Maikel Verheijen <maikel@worldonline.nl>
To:        freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   vlanning causing kernel panics?

Hi all!

While trying to use vlan's under FreeBSD, my machine keeps on kernel panicing
when I try to ifconfig the vlan interface.

What I did in short:

- Made a kernel with:
pseudo-device	vlan	20 # Get 20 vlan interfaces

- Rebooted (of course :)

- did a:
/sbin/ifconfig vlan0 vlan 120 vlandev xl1
/sbin/ifconfig vlan0 inet 10.10.10.10 netmask 255.255.255.0

where xl1 is my interface that is connected to a cisco catalyst,
supporting vlan tagging.

What I get is the following:

--SNIP--
fault virtual address	= 0x4
fault code		= supervisor write, page not present
instruction pointer	= 0x8:0xc02291c3
stack pointer		= 0x10:0xc9909c74
frame pointer		= 0x10:0xc9909c84
code segment		= base 0x0, limit 0xfffff, type 0x1b
			= DPL 0, pres 1, def32 1, gran 1
preprocessor eflags	= interrupt enabled, resume, IOPL = 0
current process		= 149 (ifconfig)
interrupt mask		= net tty
trap number		= 12
panic: page fault