Date:      13 Nov 2003 15:50:41 -0500
From:      Lowell Gilbert <freebsd-questions-local@be-well.ilk.org>
To:        martin.clausen@privat.dk
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: GDM - configured as per the documentation but stil chrashes - FreeBSD 4.9 an d 5.1

martin.clausen@privat.dk writes:

> I cannot get GDM2 to work on neither 4.9(nor 5.1.)
>
> GDM chrashes at boot time no matter what I do.
>
> I use the gnome2-2.4.0 package. I have tried to install it at install time(which results in the gdm users not being created), installed it afterwards and compiled it from source(using ports), but the result is the same: gdm chrashes X at boot time.
>
> I have followed the instructions given at package install, that is copied the /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh.sample to /usr/X11R6/etc/rc.d/gdm.sh. I have also copied the /usr/x11R6/etc/gdm/factory-gdm.conf to /usr/X11R6/etc/gdm/gdm.conf. I have not touched the /etc/ttys file, it is vanilla as installed.
>
> I have searched the net in vain for any tips on how to fix this, the only things I have found are the ones I have tried already. The pam fix(from http://people.freebsd.org/~marcus/pam_get_user.c.diff
> ) should not apply to 4.9 so I have not treid that.
>
> Any help would be greatly appreciated.

Try starting not starting gdm at boot, and kicking it off later.  This
will enable you to get a better view of what breaks.  You should also
look at the gdm logs, and possibly the X logs.

Personally, I use xdm, so I don't have much help specific to gdm.
However, you might try xdm to see if the problem is with gdm or more
directly related to X.