Date:      Thu, 31 May 2001 21:31:00 +0200
From:      Cynic <cynic@mail.cz>
To:        jmcoopr@webmail.bmi.net
Cc:        freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: install locations of packages

Hi John,

thank you for your reply. However, tcsh isn't important
at all. What I was actually asking (sorry for confusing you)
was: Is there a way to get a package install to a different
location than it is supposed to go? I know about the -p switch,
but for example bash-2.05.tgz installs the binary to
/usr/local/bin/ and the man page to /usr/local/man/man1/

Now, $ whereis csh revealed that csh is in /bin/ and
/usr/share/man/man1/. Since the default prefix for the bash
package I'm talking about (but that's just an example) is
/usr/local/, I suppose that if I install the package with
# pkg_add -p / bash-2.05.tgz, it'll install the man page to
/man/man1/, right?

My question is really about maintenance of installed packages,
not about a specific single one. I'm looking for advice about
the simplest way of modifying installed packages (which will
preserve the ability to uninstall packages with pkg_delete(1)).

I know I should do more RTFM excercises, but I thought someone
could share their experience. (Seems like I could either extract
such a package with -M and then install it with -S, or recreate
it with pkg_create(1), but both options look like too much of
overkill to me.)

cynic@mail.cz