Date:      Mon, 11 Sep 1995 22:45:53 -0700
From:      "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@time.cdrom.com>
To:        Paul Traina <pst@shockwave.com>
Cc:        current@freebsd.org, Bill Fenner <fenner@parc.xerox.com>
Subject:   Re: userconfig doesn't work on tvi925

> Here is my suggestion.

It won't work.

> Pull out the new userconfig ENTIRELY.  Get rid of it.  Instead, add a
> sysctl interface and a staticly linked program in /sbin to operate that
> interface.  This keeps the kernel clean, and gives you access to fancy
> stuff in user mode.  If you want to have the old userconfig for emergencies,

Not if you never GET to user mode, it doesn't!  Perhaps by
complicating the interface we've obscured the purpose somewhat, but
the primary purpose remains "getting the user installed on the hard
disk."

What also needs to happen is for `dset' to get folded into sysinstall
so that the second kernel to come off the bindist can also be tweaked
to track whatever changes the user had to make in coming up off the
floppy.

						Jordan