Date:      Sat, 24 Apr 1999 09:30:43 -0600
From:      Brett Glass <brett@lariat.org>
To:        "Jordan K. Hubbard" <jkh@zippy.cdrom.com>
Cc:        chris@calldei.com, "G. Adam Stanislav" <adam@whizkidtech.net>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: FreeBSD and memetics

At 08:36 PM 4/22/99 -0700, Jordan K. Hubbard wrote:

>I've told you before, what you define as "passion" is about as akin to
>actual passion as love is to rape.

By your analogy, giving even a willing partner a big hug instead of a
peck on the cheek would be rape.

>  I have nothing against passionate
>advocacy, only rabid, unthinking advocacy and what I told you at the
>LinuxWorld show was that I couldn't support that kind of LA riot
>mentality.  If you took this as my being down on "passionate advocacy"
>then I can only strongly question your definition of that word.

Again, Jordan, you apparently are so frightened by any form of passion
that any strong display of emotion is, to you, the equivalent of the
horrible LA riots. This is an indication that, while you may be a good
programmer (I haven't reviewed your coding style, but I am told that this
is the case), you obviously do not have the stomach to do effective marketing
or advocacy. It's just not your thing, and that's fine.... So long as you
realize it. It really might be wise to leave this to others who are able
to handle a greater range of approaches and levels of enthusiasm.

Doing so would even help you with YOUR frustrations. Currently, you complain
that you are unable to find sufficient manpower to perform needed development
tasks. With a larger, more passionate, more activist base of users, there will
also be more people who are willing to contribute to the code base. By stifling
passionate advocacy of FreeBSD, you are guaranteeing a shortage of developers.
(More are now needed even to keep pace with Linux.) This is how memes die;
they are ousted by others for which there is greater enthusiasm and support.

--Brett

P.S. -- For those who don't believe that passionate advocacy is effective, see

http://www.zdnet.com/zdtv/cgi-bin/rmplay.cgi?/zdtv/channel/freshgear/fg_2242081_crew2.rm

at minute 3:00.

If nothing else, the brain is an educational toy. -- Tom Robbins