Date:      Mon, 3 Mar 1997 12:25:39 -0800 (PST)
From:      Doug White <dwhite@gdi.uoregon.edu>
To:        Shaun Courtney <shaun@emma.eng.uct.ac.za>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: 2.2-BETA to 2.2-970225-GAMMA

On Mon, 3 Mar 1997, Shaun Courtney wrote:

> I'm trying to upgrade 2.2-B to 2.2-G by doing a "make world" with the 2.2-G
> sources. I have hit an error. Is this is know bug or is there something
> I'm missing.

You can follow the normal upgrade procedure and it'll work fine.  I
updated my ALPHA box to GAMMA and aren't having any problems.

FreeBSD Upgrade Checklist for 2.2:

1)  Boot the new floppy.  Select the 'update' option.  Follow the prompts.
Make sure you MOUNT your filesystems and not NEWFS them.  Select the same
distributions you did originally (including the kernel source, src/ssys!)
and any you wish to add.

2)  Hit 'commit' to start the upgrade.

3)  When you're dumped to a shell prompt:

	. Your /etc directory is preserved as it was for 2.1.x.  You will
	  want to look in /etc/upgrade, which contains new & updated files
 	  for this release.

	. Using your old sysconfig as a guide, create a new sysconfig using
          the one in /etc/upgrade as a template.

	. You may want to copy over the rc* files from upgrade/, so new
 	  features in sysconfig are used.

 	. Migrate other files as necessary.

5)  Reboot, recompile & reinstall your kernel, reboot again, and enjoy.