Date:      Thu, 9 Nov 2000 17:05:44 -0800 (PST)
From:      Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
To:        Mark Ovens <marko@freebsd.org>
Cc:        questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: question about cvs(1)

> Further investigation revealed that share/ was missing in /usr/www. I
> checked that it was in my repo, then ran:
>
> 	cvs update -P www
>
> but it didn't check it out. I then used
>
> 	cvs checkout www
>
> and this worked (and updated some other stuff as well). I've read the
> cvs(1) manpage (several times) and I am certain that ``checkout'' is used
> for creating the tree initially and then ``update'' should maintain the
> tree, including checking out new files/dirs, deleting ones that have been
> removed from the repo, and updating changed files/dirs.
>
> So why did ``update'' fail to check out www/share? I realize that I
> may

Becuase unless otherwise specified, 'update' goes through every
directory *in the checked out copy* and looks for new files.  It
doesn't look for new directories in the respository.  From cvs(1):

            Use the -d option  to  create  any  directories  that
            exist  in  the repository if they're missing from the
            working directory.  (Normally, update  acts  only  on
            directories  and  files that were already enrolled in
            your working directory.)

So, instead of `cvs update -P www`, you would do `cvs update -Pd www`.

As to why checkout didn't get share/ in the first place, I do not
know.

Hope this helps

--
Dima Dorfman <dima@unixfreak.org>
Finger dima@unixfreak.org for my public PGP key.

Life would be much easier if we could just read the source code.