Date:      Tue, 21 Mar 2006 14:34:00 -0300
From:      Fernan Aguero <fernan@iib.unsam.edu.ar>
To:        Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org>
Cc:        FreeBSD Gnome <freebsd-gnome@FreeBSD.org>
Subject:   Re: new logo for Gnome 2.14?

+----[ Joe Marcus Clarke <marcus@FreeBSD.org> (21.Mar.2006 14:04):

| Fernan Aguero wrote:
| > Hi!
| >
| > the FreeBSD logo contest has ended some time ago:
| > http://logo-contest.freebsd.org/result/
| > http://logo-contest.freebsd.org/result/640-1.png
| >
| > is the material available (in vector format) to be used in
| > splash screens, icons, etc?
| >
| > Can we see the official new logo and branding in Gnome 2.14
| > or should we wait for 2.16?
|
| I think it's safe to use, but I am not the be all-end all source on the
| subject.  I know that OSNews is already using the new logo, so I don't
| think it would upset anyone.

+----]

I'm not a well informed source in this subject, but ...
why would anyone get upset? Wasn't the author of all
material submitted to the contest supposed to give up
copyrights?

Oh, wait, I'm reading the announcement again:
"Copyright assignment
	The FreeBSD Foundation will acquire ownership of the winning
	logo by assignment of copyright, and the winning designer will
	disclaim any trademarks and without limitation all other
	rights related to the design (paperwork will be required)."

So now I'm thinking along the lines of:
i) either the paperwork is not finished yet, and we should
wait for it to be sure, or

ii) it doesn't matter. The owner of the copyright has
changed, but the material is not free to use ... you have to
ask for permission to The FreeBSD Foundation.

I wonder if the foundation is thinking about offering the
material under a creative commons or similar license (ie.
not giving up copyright but allowing for certain uses)

Fernan