Date:      Sun, 09 Oct 2016 13:34:46 -0300
From:      Joseph Mingrone <jrm@FreeBSD.org>
To:        Fernando Herrero =?utf-8?Q?Carr=C3=B3n?= <elferdo@gmail.com>
Cc:        ports@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: math/R slave ports and shared library

--=-=-=

Fernando Herrero Carr=C3=B3n <elferdo@gmail.com> writes:
> All in all, I don't see much use for a standalone libRmath, but it cannot
> be excluded. The truth being told, I would expect newer scientific softwa=
re
> coming from python+scipy+numpy rather than from R embedded in C/C++.

Given that 1) the port has been marked broken for so long and 2) only you r=
esponded to the last call for deletion back in July with a similar response=
, I'm feeling more comfortable about removing math/libRmath.

> math/libR
> I have done some little benchmarking myself with and without dynamic libR
> and have not seen any noticeable differences in performance (though I have
> left it off to be safe), but don't take this as conclusive, more testing
> should be done. Packages certainly do need to be rebuilt after switching
> from dynamic libR to static. I can't tell what happens the other way
> around. Ports-installed packages could be automatically recompiled, but
> recompiling user-installed packages is a different story.

> I think having two separate installations, whose packages would be mutual=
ly
> exclusive is too dangerous and too easy for the user to mess up. I can
> perform some more extensive benchmarks and see if having it enabled by
> default really hurts.

The same applies for math/libR.  For now, users who don't want the shared l=
ibrary can easily build their own port.

Thanks for your input Fernando,

Joseph

--=-=-=