Date:      Thu, 29 Apr 1999 14:34:21 -0700 (PDT)
From:      John Polstra <jdp@polstra.com>
To:        mike@sentex.net
Cc:        stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: Any action on PR 10570 ? getting closer to 65K :-(

In article <3.0.5.32.19990429164427.00b69730@staff.sentex.ca>, Mike
Tancsa <mike@sentex.net> wrote:

> I am currently using a couple of FreeBSD boxes for my border
> routers, and it seems that the global routing table is getting
> closer and closer to 65K+ routes (i.e. sooner than later I am going
> to bump into PR 10570).  I am not a systems programmer by any
> stretch of the imagination, so I would not know how to go about
> debugging anything and everything that would be effected by changing
> the size from a short to a long.

If you change the size in the header in your source tree, and then
do a full make world and rebuild your kernel, I don't think you'll
run into any problems.  Oh, it's not inconceivable that some obscure
port could be affected, but I'd be surprised.

I'd recommend changing the field to an int (or maybe int32_t) rather
than a long, though.  A long on the Alpha is 64 bits, which is waaaay
bigger than the reference count needs to be.

A quick grep of the sources didn't show anything in userland that uses
ifa_refcnt.  So there shouldn't be any printf format mismatches from
your change.  (Changing a short to an int wouldn't cause any of them
under any circumstances.)

This is something that practically none of us can test, so you're in
a unique position. :-) Your best bet is to change it yourself and try
it.  Assuming it works, follow-up your own PR with the patch and a
statement that you've tested it without problems.  It's more likely
to get into the main source base if somebody has tested it under
real-world conditions.

John
  "Self-interest is the aphrodisiac of belief."           -- James V. DeLong