Date:      Sun, 9 Feb 2003 19:01:54 +0100
From:      Erik Trulsson <ertr1013@student.uu.se>
To:        c a r s t e n <carsten@realityblur.com>
Cc:        freebsd questions <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: why do port installation attempts ignore my cd? (freebsd 4.7)

On Sun, Feb 09, 2003 at 06:48:01PM +0100, c a r s t e n wrote:
> disclaimer: i am a freebsd newbie. although i have installed and used
> linux in the past, and work daily on unix at work, i have little
> sysadmin experience.
>
> although in the manual it mentions that ports such as kermit cannot be
> included on the cd, it seems that ports which i think should be on the
> cd still end up with an attempt to access the net (which i am not yet
> hooked up to, having decided to try simpler things first).
>
> more specifically, i have freebsd 4.7, the 4-cd set, and i am trying to
> install xmms. i noticed that through the sysinstall, xcdplayer is
> offered, yet even for this one, if i go to /usr/ports/audio/xcdplayer
> [whatever version] (i am mailing this from win2k, as i am not yet up to
> speed in freebsd enough to mail from there), it still looks first on
> some ftp sites, and completely ignores my cd. i have mounted my first
> cdrom drive, and can see the files through the /cdrom link, yet the
> ports installation (go to dir, type "make" or "make install") ignores
> the existence of it completely, and i cannot figure out what i have done
> wrong.
>
> i kinda fumbled my way through the installation, using the handbook, 2nd
> edition, which i purchased, but there is still the possibility that i
> installed my ports collection somehow wrong. i tried to rectify this
> possibility by reinstalling it, but the result is the same.
>
> can anyone give me a pointer?
>
> thanks in advance,

For space reasons the distfiles (containing the source) for the ports
is not included on the CDs.  What is included on the CDs are packages
which are precompiled ports.
The distfiles used to be included on the CDs but since then the ports
collection has simply grown too much.

If you want to use the pre-compiled packages from the CD you should use
pkg_add(1). (Or sysinstall if you prefer that.)

--
<Insert your favourite quote here.>
Erik Trulsson