Date:      Mon, 14 Jun 1999 18:57:04 -0600
From:      Wes Peters <wes@softweyr.com>
To:        Nik Clayton <nik@nothing-going-on.demon.co.uk>
Cc:        nclayton@lehman.com, advocacy@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Tekmetrics tests

Nik Clayton wrote:

> On Mon, Jun 14, 1999 at 03:00:35PM +0100, nclayton@lehman.com wrote:
> > In re the discussion last week about the TekMetrics tests; I've just
> > got in touch with them to find out how we go about requesting/creating
> > a FreeBSD technical test.  More information as I get it.
>
> Right.  I've had a follow-up e-mail from Bill Lake, one of their VPs.
>
> In it, he says;
>
> > We need to understand the business case for the development. We typically
> > develop a test for a customer requirement for about $20,000 - $40,000 USD
> > depending on the type of test. All of our tests are computer adaptive, which
> > requires a large test question set. This allows the tests to be delivered
> > securely over the internet, and makes them rapid and accurate.
> >
> > Assuming the test is a "standard" type of test, we could develop it and
> > validate it in 8-10 weeks.
> >
> > We would be glad to establilsh a reseller relationship in which you can sell
> > this and other tekmetrics tests and would pay you a commission.
> >
> > I don't know much about your organization- are you in a position to invest
> > in the development of the test? Would you want us to integrate into your
> > site so it appears to be a part of your content? What demand for this
> > product can you forcast? Would you consider bundling a test-prep package,
> > provided by tekmetrics.com with the FreeBSD?
>
> First off, does anyone want to follow this up before I do?  He's said
> he'd prefer to discuss this on the phone, but this is a little tricky
> with me being in the UK and them in the US.  If you do, give me a shout.
>
> Either way, I'm going to reply with some information about FreeBSD, how
> we discovered the Tekmetrics site, noticing the Linux test, the increase
> in take-up of FreeBSD, and so on, and see where we go from there.

You might want to point out that we are, as a group, capable of and
willing to "customize" their test(s) for them.  In general, rewriting
any specific test is NOT necessary, just making sure it asks the
questions and records the correct answer in a way that completely
agrees with FreeBSD usage.

As far as their "large test question set" goes, I don't believe it, at
least not for the tests I've taken.  I got called away in the middle of
two of them - UNIX Programmer and UNIX System Administrator, and had to
re-run the tests, and they came up with roughly the same questions in
a different order, with the answers presented in different order as well.
I'd be surprised if their 40-question tests have a pool of more than 50
questions.

Customizing 50 or so questions for FreeBSD programming and sysadmin
should be a pretty straightforward task, don't you think?

I also think FreeBSD Mall is an ideal clearing house for reselling
their tests, if their partnering procedures aren't too difficult to
deal with.  The web information makes it seem pretty straightforward.