Date:      Thu, 24 Oct 2002 18:12:27 +0200
From:      Andreas Ntaflos <ant@overclockers.at>
To:        Kris Kennaway <kris@obsecurity.org>
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org, freebsd-stable@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: fsck lasting several hours (and then forever) after crash

On Thu, Oct 24, 2002 at 08:23:31AM -0700, Kris Kennaway wrote:

> > Well, nothing. Just nothing. The num-lock key works (the LED goes on and off),
> > so the keyboard itself is not dead. But fsck does not let me get out. Brrrr.
> >
> > Could this be serious? Either for my disk which might be about to go to hell,
> > or for fsck?
>
> Could be an obscure bug in fsck.  If you check on another console (or
> suspend fsck and run it in the background, if running single-user) is
> it still using CPU?

I don't know since I can't even change to another console, nor can I suspend
fsck to the background. I also think that the machine itself is not accessible
via network (ping, ssh) anymore, and not responding to any keyboard-input.

> Also, what version are you running?

The version coming with FreeBSD 4.7-STABLE as of Oct 10. Hope this helps...

Is there anything else I could do to help solving this problem?
regards
--
	Andreas "ant" Ntaflos |	"A cynic is a man who knows the price of
	ant@overclockers.at   |	everything, and the value of nothing."