Date:      Wed, 17 Sep 1997 17:56:50 -0400 (EDT)
From:      "Alex.Boisvert" <boia01@castor.GEL.USherb.CA>
To:        Atipa <freebsd@atipa.com>
Cc:        The Hermit Hacker <scrappy@hub.org>, Wolfram Schneider <wosch@cs.tu-berlin.de>, chat@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: Good Database was: Re: uptime on hub.freebsd.org

> IS there a decent SQL-based database for FreeBSD? (I do NOT want to hear
> anyone say mSQL... because it is slow as hell and featureless).
>
> We just dropped a bunch of cash on Informix's Online Workgroup Server for
> Sparc becauses I could not find any professional quality database for
> FreeBSD.  What is PostgreSQL? Sounds interesting...
>
> Speed is definitely a must, along with some nice features, like
> variable-length strings, BLOB support, nice CLI interface, professional
> support, and most importantly reliability. It will be used as a primary
> database for inventory tracking (about 400-2000 parts / day, each
> individually trackable w/ serial number), invoicing, warranty, etc., so it
> MUST work reliably.

You can have a look at SOLID Server, which is a commercial SQL engine
available on many platforms:  Win95/WinNT and some Unix flavors.  Linux is
among the supported platforms and the product has been reported to work
fine on FreeBSD 2.2 and above.  It's small, fast and there's even a trial
version available on the web.

More details?  www.solidtech.com

Regards,
Alex.

PS: I'm a satisfied customer on WinNT. I haven't tried it under
FreeBSD/Linux.