Date:      Fri, 28 Sep 2001 15:48:23 -0500 (CDT)
From:      Shawn Barnhart <swb@accord.grasslake.net>
To:        Shoichi Sakane <sakane@kame.net>
Cc:        freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: IPSec problem, racoon can't transmit?

On Wed, 26 Sep 2001, Shoichi Sakane wrote:

> > When I start racoon on both machines, all appears fine.  To make a long
> > story short, Machine A never seems to generate ANY isakmp packets.  Machine
> > B's racoon run-time info never indicates it's gotten a phase I initiation
> > from A if the session was originated from A.  I've run tcpdump on both
> > machines, and A never sends any isakmp packets, although it does get them
> > from B if B originates traffic first and appears to generate a response
> > according to racoon debug info, but B never gets the responses (and if
> > tcpdump is to believed A never sends them).
>
> > Both machines are running racoon-20010831a and 4.4-STABLE built yesterday.
>
> do you mean Machine A didn't send only isakmp packets ?
> or machine A couldn't send all of packets to machine B ?

Machine A didn't ever send isakmp packets to machine B, whether it
originates the traffic that brings up the IPSec link or whether it should be
responding to Phase I negotiation initiation with B.

> the re-keying might failed.  could you check the log file of racoon
> on both side ?  if you picked ERROR tag from the file, you could find
> the problem.

The ERROR tag does say that Phase I failed, and my guess is that the reason
is that A isn't sending isakmp packets (tcpdump on B never sees isakmp
traffic from A).

Machine A is running DIVERT sockets for natd, and I think that is what's
killing the connection.  I haven't had time to see if that's really the case
though, and if it is, it's a showstopper.

--
swb@grasslake.net
Hard work often pays off after time, but laziness always pays off now.