Date:      Fri, 27 Feb 2015 19:06:11 +0000
From:      Tom Evans <tevans.uk@googlemail.com>
To:        Da Rock <freebsd-multimedia@herveybayaustralia.com.au>
Cc:        freebsd-multimedia <freebsd-multimedia@freebsd.org>
Subject:   Re: webcamd, dvb, v4l2-ctl: "device not configured"

On Sat, Feb 21, 2015 at 2:30 AM, Da Rock
<freebsd-multimedia@herveybayaustralia.com.au> wrote:
> I'm trying to get something happening with ffmpeg and using the v4l input to
> access a dvb card - which may well be trail blazing mind, but there are
> points worth testing. However, it keeps coming back to me that the device is
> not configured. Mplayer as such will work using dvb://

If you're there, why go further?

mplayer -dumpfile bbc1hd.ts -dumpstream -dvbin
file=/path/to/channels.conf dvb://BBC1HD

(I'm a little further down the "just schedule recordings and let me
watch them with mplayer" DVR route ;)

If you wish to feed the input directly in to ffmpeg, you need to use
[stc]zap to tune the card and then read it from the frontend:

ffmpeg -f mpegts -i /dev/dvb/adapter0/dvr0 -c copy out.ts

I have definitely built tzap on freebsd before, but currently I'm
using DVB-S2 tuners. I just tried building the zap (its now unified)
from the tip of dvb-utils, but this fails now, they've added some GNU
extensions...

Before, it was literally:

  fetch ..../linuxtv-dvb-apps-tip.tar.gz
  tar zxf ...
  cd dvb-utils-*/utils/zap
  CFLAGS=-I/usr/local/include LDFLAGS=-L/usr/local/lib gmake

So if piqued, you could dig a little further..

Cheers

Tom

PS:

ffmpeg is perfectly happy operating on a TS file on disk that keeps
growing, use the -re (realtime) option so it chases the recording (in
fact, it slows it down to process input frames in the input frame rate
- same difference?)