Date:      11 Jul 2003 00:19:22 +0000
From:      Murray Taylor <murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com>
To:        Luke Cowell <lukec@webhost2.e-and-s.com>, darryl@osbourne-ind.com
Cc:        freebsd-questions@freebsd.org
Subject:   Re: mpd - question

We are using mpd configured to provide vpn services
for upto 254 simutaneous users through our frame-relay connected
firewall/DMZ from whatever isp they are using.

I think the most we have had online at once so far is 17.
(we dont yet have 254 roaming users 8-)
Some of our vpn connections are actually sub-net in remote offices
where they use either dialup to the isp or adsl to
their isp. It all comes in on Frame relay (and then through
netgraph) before being processed by mpd (also based on netgraph)

On Thu, 2003-07-10 at 15:18, Luke Cowell wrote:
> No, it's not dialup only.... You're on the right track using mpd, but again
> that really depends on what you're trying to accomplish with your VPN. As
> you've probably noticed there are several different types of VPN setup. I
> use mpd for users on the road or working from home to securely access
> services inside our private network.
>
> I thought I'd include this config because I didn't think it was easy to
> figure out how to enable simultaneous connections. This is set up for 2
> simultaneous connections, but could easily be expanded.
>
> s3rv3r# cat mpd/mpd.conf
> default:
>         load pptp0
>         load pptp1
>

> pptp0:
>         new -i ng0 pptp0 pptp0
>         set iface disable on-demand
>         set iface enable proxy-arp
>         set iface idle 1800
>         set bundle disable multilink
>         set link yes acfcomp protocomp
>         set link no pap chap
>         set link enable chap
>         set link keep-alive 10 60
>         set ipcp yes vjcomp
>         set ipcp ranges 10.1.1.02/32 10.1.1.03/32
>         set ipcp dns 192.168.10.128
>         #
>         # The five lines below enable Microsoft Point-to-Point encryption
>         # (MPPE) using the ng_mppc(8) netgraph node type.
>         #
>         #set bundle enable compression
>         #set ccp yes mppc
>         #set ccp yes mpp-e40
>         #set ccp yes mpp-e128
>         #set ccp yes mpp-stateless
> pptp1:
>         new -i ng1 pptp1 pptp1
>         set iface disable on-demand
>         set iface enable proxy-arp
>         set iface idle 1800
>         set bundle disable multilink
>         set link yes acfcomp protocomp
>         set link no pap chap
>         set link enable chap
>         set link keep-alive 10 60
>         set ipcp yes vjcomp
>         set ipcp ranges 10.1.1.12/32 10.1.1.13/32
>         set ipcp dns 192.168.10.128
>         #
>         # The five lines below enable Microsoft Point-to-Point encryption
>         # (MPPE) using the ng_mppc(8) netgraph node type.
>         #
>         #set bundle enable compression
>         #set ccp yes mppc
>         #set ccp yes mpp-e40
>         #set ccp yes mpp-e128
>         #set ccp yes mpp-stateless
>

> Luke
>

> > From: "Darryl Hoar" <darryl@osborne-ind.com>
> > Date: Thu, 10 Jul 2003 09:35:12 -0500
> > To: <freebsd-questions@freebsd.org>
> > Subject: mpd - question
> >
> > I was reading a howto on setting up a vpn server for use with
> > microsoft clients.  It discussed the mpd port.  The entire howto
> > seem to imply dailup networking and modems.  The server
> > I'm thinking about setting up would live on a DSL connection
> > (not ADSL).  Can mpd work with a DSL connection ?
> >
> > I'm a newbie at VPN so still groping in the dark.

> [...]
Murray Taylor
Special Projects Engineer
---------------------------------
Bytecraft Systems & Entertainment
P: +61 3 8710 2555
F: +61 3 8710 2599
D: +61 3 9238 4275
M: +61 417 319 256
E: murraytaylor@bytecraftsystems.com
or visit us on the web
http://www.bytecraftsystems.com
http://www.bytecraftentertainment.com

This Email has been scanned for Viruses by MailMarshal.