Date:      Sun, 10 Nov 2002 17:27:06 -0500 (EST)
From:      Marco Radzinschi <marco@radzinschi.com>
To:        Mike Loiterman <mike@ascendency.net>
Cc:        <freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG>
Subject:   Re: Adding additional HD space

The 10 GB Hard Disk should have a "BIOS Limitation" jumper that will make
the BIOS think it is a 508 MB drive.  Set that jumper, and the system
should boot.

Once you have that drive in there, you could create the file system
structure on it however you want, but place the / and /boot partitions
below 500 MB so that the system will boot when you take out the old drive.

Note that you will have to tell fdisk the correct geometry of the disk.

Otherwise, create the partitions exactly how you have them on your 2 GB
drive, making them larger as you wish, and dump + restore the files from
one disk to the other.

Once everything is copied over, you can install the boot sector on the new
drive with "fdisk -B -b /boot/mbr"

NOTE: Replace /boot/mbr with the path of the new hard disk!
For example, /mnt/boot/mbr if you mounted the new disk under /mnt.

After this is done, you can set the jumpers on the new drive to match the
position of the old one (master, for example) and simply swap it out.

Reboot, and enjoy.

Marco Radzinschi

E-Mail: marco@radzinschi.com