Date:      Thu, 26 Oct 2000 19:47:43 -0400
From:      "Gary T. Corcoran" <gcorcoran@lucent.com>
To:        Aaron Hill <hillaa@hotmail.com>
Cc:        julian@elischer.org, freebsd-questions@FreeBSD.ORG, freebsd-net@FreeBSD.ORG
Subject:   Re: More on PPPoE & ADSL (Telstra Bigpond)

Aaron Hill wrote:

> >The provider treats these differently
> >we probably need to reverse the order of the  Host_uniq and Service
> >name fields..
>
> It does look like that hence my searching through the source code to check
> if I could make a simple hack to test it. I ran out of time though.
>
> I've been reading the RFC (2516) lately which says (I quote)...
>
> The PADI packet MUST contain exactly one TAG of TAG_TYPE
> Service-Name, indicating the service the Host is requesting, and any number
> of other TAG types.
>
> ... so from the order of that statement it seems putting the Service-Name
> tag first is the correct thing to do.

[Quick background: I implemented PPPoE in our DSL drivers for the Lucent DSL adapters]

Yes, the only tag REQUIRED in the PADI is a Service-Name tag, which has
to match what the service provide wants, and may possibly be of zero length.

> The RFC doesn't explicitly mention
> what order the tags should be in.  It's entirely plausible that the ISPs
> equipment has a requirement (bug?) that the service name comes last.

It could be.  Do you know what brand of head-end equipment you're trying
to communicate with?   In any event, since only a Service-Name is required,
if you send ONLY a Service-Name, then it will meet the bugs (requirements)
of head-ends that might require it to be first _or_ last.  In other words,
why send the Host-Uniq at all - unless you have a specific need for it?
In my drivers, I only send Service-Name in the PADI...
(but we haven't tested in Australia...  :-)

Gary
 Gary Corcoran - Distinguished Member of Technical Staff
Lucent Microelectronics - Client Access Broadband Systems
   Communications Protocol & Driver Development Group
   "We make the drivers that make communications work"
              Email: gcorcoran@lucent.com